Using Microsoft PowerPoint is an easy and effective way to enhance your presentations, but they can easily become distracting if not created properly. Here are some tips for creating an effective and professional presentation.
- Try limiting the number of words on the screen, and only use key phrases and essential information.
- Stay away from putting paragraphs or even full sentences on the screen. They might distract the audience, and make the slides look too busy.
- Contrasting colors for text with light text on dark background increases the readability of the text.
- Using good-quality images help to reinforce and enhance your message, but you want to make sure that the message can be projected clearly onto a larger screen.
- Try only using one slide per minute. Any more than that, and presenters run the risk of losing the audience’s attention.
- Overusing different special effects and sounds lower the professionalism of a presentation, so be careful to not use them too frequently.
- Minimize the use of punctuation and avoid making letters all capital, as empty space will enhance readability.
- Using the slide master feature helps to create simple and consistent design templates. While it is okay to vary content presentations, it is just as important to be consistent with elements such as colors, fonts, and backgrounds.
- Do not use too many slide transitions and sound effects. These can become the focus of the presentation, and in turn distract the audience. A truly professional presentation really does not need these features.
- Do not be afraid to modify templates. While they can be helpful in starting a design, the user should not be afraid to modify them to fit their needs and the presentation style.
- Make sure to use fonts that aren’t too small, or that are too fancy. If they are too small or stylized, they run the risk of being illegible at a far distance. While up close they may seem fine, from far away they are difficult to read.
Creating presentations using Microsoft PowerPoint is simple to do, especially if you follow the above tips. Make sure to keep the information on each slide concise. Keep sentences simple, and only use key words. Also, be sure to keep designs simple and avoid using special effects and sounds. PowerPoint presentations are quite easy to assemble, and really make a difference in terms of the professionalism of a presentation.
Clarus Communications has been serving the St. Louis area since 2001 and can assist your business in getting started with Microsoft Office 365 or any of the suite of Microsoft products and services. We’ll work with you to assess your needs and recommend a solution that is custom tailored for your business. If you would like more information about Microsoft Office 365, click here or call us at 314-300-4700.